Legal process to file a cheque bounce case? What defenses available?

What is the procedure for legal action in a cheque bounce case? I had lent money to a friend and he gave me a cheque in return in his writing wherein the amount was Rs. 2.5 Lacs and the cheque got bounced 3 days ago.


What is the legal way out - please advice with timelines to be adhered to. Also, what all defense can the defaulter use in case we file a 138 case against them?




You have to send a legal notice within 30 days of receiving of the memo of dishonor of the cheque whereby you have to demand the payment of the cheque amount within a period of 15 days.


If the said payment is not made within 15 days, then you can file a Criminal Complaint under Section 138 of the Negotiable Instruments Act within 30 days after the end of the 15 day period.


The defenses available to the defaulter are many. Few of them are:


i. The cheque was not issued for a legally enforceable debt.


ii. The cheque was not signed by him.


iii. The entries made in the cheque are not made by the defaulter. (This is not an absolute defense)


iv. The cheque was obtained by fraud.


Get legal details about cheque bounce charges along with a list of dos and don'ts in case of bounced cheques

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Cheque Bounce Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate Jai Shiv Darshan Giri
Santoshi Nagar, Ring Road Chowk, Raipur
14 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
18 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Cheque Bounce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Legal Services

15 Minutes Cheque Bounce Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 104 ratings
Legal advice and answers from a local experienced advocate about your Cheque Bounce issue
Legal Notice / Reply to Legal Notice

4.7 | 83 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - Send a legal notice through an experienced advocate
Similar questions

Sir, A person was having a blank cheque signed by me ten years ago. He filed an amount of 2lakh on it and processed it in bank. Due to insufficient ba…

Read More


Read More

Hi i have been summoned by Dwarka Evening court for cheque bounce amounting 18342. I had taken a personal loan for 257000 and I have paid 33 EMI's…

Read More

On 10.11.2016, my previous house landlord gave me a cheque for Rs 16000. The cheque bounced on 15.11.2016. I contacted him and he said he will pay me …

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue