Is notice for cheque bounce admissible if sent after 35 days?

I issued a Post dated cheque which got bounced due to insufficient funds and the notice for the same was sent to a wrong address which I did not receive. I received the notice after 35 days at my correct address via registered post.


My question is that is the notice received by me after 35 days of the cheque being bounced admissible in court under Section 138 NI?


The court has accepted the same whereas after 30 days it should not be admissible.


Kindly advise.




Under Section 138 of the Negotiable Instruments Act, the notice has to be dispatched within 30 days of the receipt of notice of dishonour from the bank. With the receipt of notice, the failure to pay has to be counted from 15 days of receipt of notice.


The receipt of the notice by the defaulter has no correlation with the case. The language as interpreted states that the notice has to be "sent" within 30 days of dishonour of the cheque and the payment should be made within 15 days of the receipt of notice. In case the address where the notice is sent is incorrect and the notice is not recevied, that is a triable issue and the court cannot dismiss the case at the outset on the ground of non receipt of the notice.


Applying the above clarification to the circumstances mentioned by you, the court is correct in allowing the complaint to proceed if the notice was dispatched within 30 days from the receipt of notice of dishonour from the bank.


Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Cheque Bounce Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Jai Shiv Darshan Giri
Santoshi Nagar, Ring Road Chowk, Raipur
14 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
18 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
16 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Cheque Bounce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Legal Services

15 Minutes Cheque Bounce Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 104 ratings
Legal advice and answers from a local experienced advocate about your Cheque Bounce issue
Legal Notice / Reply to Legal Notice

4.7 | 83 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - Send a legal notice through an experienced advocate
Similar questions

Sir I have to take money from somone, who has died with signatures on his cheques. when I filed cheque bounced cases before MM, who dismissed that sig…

Read More

I am Govt employee. In 2014, I had guarantor of another Govt employees loan of Rs 2 Lakhs. He was irregular to payment of installments. So the leasing…

Read More

I've taken person al loan 32 time check bounced due to insufficient balance and all charges of check bounced amount paid upto date and the questio…

Read More

One person issued cheque it's bounced how to take action on him…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue