Friend forged my sign on cheque and bank cleared it. Is bank liable?

Bank cleared a forged cheque. Can i hold bank responsible? Friend took blank cheque and forged my sign and bank cleared it.


The following legal recourse are available to you :

1. File a criminal complaint against the friend under section 420 of IPC that deals with cheating and under section 406 that deals with Criminal breach of trust.

2. You can file a complaint in the Consumer forum against the bank.
3. Your can also complain to the Banking Ombudsman appointed by the Government for any grievance from the bank. 

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Cheque Bounce Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate Jai Shiv Darshan Giri
Santoshi Nagar, Ring Road Chowk, Raipur
14 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
18 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Cheque Bounce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Legal Services

15 Minutes Cheque Bounce Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 104 ratings
Legal advice and answers from a local experienced advocate about your Cheque Bounce issue
Legal Notice / Reply to Legal Notice

4.7 | 83 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - Send a legal notice through an experienced advocate
Similar questions

Hi, my close relative is asking for surety for bail. Asking for salary certificate related to my Job. what are the precautions I should take and what …

Read More

Sir, We have sold some material to our party in Greater Noida ( Uttar Pradesh ) in the year, Oct. 2011, they have paid some amount of bill in cash and…

Read More

My friend took money from me of 100000/- for is businesses and showed me some cheques which would clear to me and repay the same to me by days. he di…

Read More

I issued 3 cheques (in name of a miller) & gave it to my broker from whom i bought goods from miller. Due some reason he insisted paying in cash(didn&…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue