Filing of case if cheque returned back due to stop payment

Hello. I gave 3 lakh rupees to my friend (1.8 years back), transferred the amount via online to my friend's wife's account. I have the proof of it. I lent the money from a bank and gave it to my friend. After a lot of struggle, he agreed to give me a cheque, but it got returned due to a reason (payment stopped by drawer - other than date ). can I file a suit?

Answers (4)

265 votes

Yes. You have take legal action against him.
You have two options.
1.If the said cheque was bounced, u will take criminal case gainst him.

Another one, 2. U will file civil suit for recovery of money against him

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

77 votes

You need to act fast, you need to send a Legal Demand Notice for the value of the bounced cheque within 15 days of bouncing of the cheque. I can help you file one immediately. All the behind the screen transactions will be helpful in the court of law, however, for now, the bounced cheque is a golden egg you just don't let you. 15 day limit starts from the date you received the bounce memo from your bank. After sending a legal demand notice, we can file a Private Complaint in Fast Track Court under Negotiable Instruments Act.

Popular Cheque Bounce Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
35 years Experience
Advocate Barkha Bhalla
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
17 years Experience
111 votes

Yes. You can file a case within the period of limitation. Prior filing a complaint at the court. Send a Legal Notice to the defaulter as soon as possible if he fails to pay within the stipulated time, you shall go ahead.

137 votes

definitely, you can to send send a notice under sec 138 act and file a complaint before the criminal court with 45 days of the acknowledgement of the service to the accused person..........................................................................................................

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Cheque Bounce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles