Cheque got bounced. Is there any case possible? Under what section?

If I have a cheque and it gets bounced due to stop payment / cheque lost or signature difference, can there be a case under Section 138 NI?




The Recent Supreme Court and High Court judgement have tried to cover various grounds on which a complaint under Section 138 NI Act can be filed. 


Stop payment has been considered as one of the grounds for filing the said complaint. 


With respect to signature difference, it shall depend on the trial court. It depends upon whether the difference in signature was intentional or unintentional. The contents of the reply to the legal notice you send the drawer shall also be considered.


We would need more information to advise with regards to Dishonor due to cheque getting lost. Was the loss reported to the bank / Police? 


However, we would like to mention that you need to follow the procedure laid down under Section 138 of the NI Act which includes sending a legal notice demanding payment and only thereafter filing the complaint in the competent court.


Kindly contact us for any further details and action.


Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Cheque Bounce Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate Jai Shiv Darshan Giri
Santoshi Nagar, Ring Road Chowk, Raipur
14 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
18 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Cheque Bounce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Legal Services

15 Minutes Cheque Bounce Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 104 ratings
Legal advice and answers from a local experienced advocate about your Cheque Bounce issue
Legal Notice / Reply to Legal Notice

4.7 | 83 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - Send a legal notice through an experienced advocate
Similar questions

I submitted Tirupathi civile court in the year 2009 ,the case was dismissed on 5 th December 2016 on the grounds that I was not submitted incom…

Read More

I have failed a case against a bounced cheque,I attended 2 summon and the accused party did not receive the summon from the court but he has received …

Read More

I have booked a flat in MAHILA SMRIDHI AWAS YOJNA Greater Noida which has been announced by Morpheus Group. After that flat was cancelled and they gav…

Read More

One person borrowed money from me and given two cheques. I have requeted him several times for return my money,but he was not responded.He borrowed mo…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue