Brother gave my post dated cheques to company. It bounced.Am i liable?

My brother had taken an Agency from a News company and had issued my post-dated cheques towards its payment. Due to insufficient balance in the bank account, the cheque was dishonoured.


The company issued a notice to me claiming the amount of the cheque. Now the company has filed a complaint against me under Section 138 of the Negotiable Instruments. Please guide me whether in such circumstances can I be held legally liable?


If you are able to prove that you personally did not owe any legally recoverable debt to the company, and that the cheques in question were misused and further that you had nothing to do with the agency, then there are good chances that the complaint against you can be got dismissed.


However, we would require to go through the agency agreement, the contents of the notice / complaint to exactly ascertain your defence in the complaint because there is presumption in favor of the company that if they have cheques issued by you, there must be some amount payable by you to them. Hence, documentation aleady done is essential to ascertain your stand.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Cheque Bounce Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate Jai Shiv Darshan Giri
Santoshi Nagar, Ring Road Chowk, Raipur
14 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
18 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Cheque Bounce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Legal Services

15 Minutes Cheque Bounce Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 104 ratings
Legal advice and answers from a local experienced advocate about your Cheque Bounce issue
Legal Notice / Reply to Legal Notice

4.7 | 83 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - Send a legal notice through an experienced advocate
Similar questions

Hi, I Have a Loan outstanding amount with A bank for rupees 1,09,000/- for which is am negotiating with the bank for a settlement. Bank has agreed tha…

Read More

Hi, If somebody cancel a cheque issued earlier( due to lgitimate reasons), but the cheque is still with beneficiary, can the issuer be tried under sec…

Read More

1. We provided a cheque to party (“payee”) and it bounced with the bank notation “insufficient fund” within the cheque validit…

Read More

i have bought a gold from one of my vendor and we gave them the cheque and we also signed on the bill. now the problem is that some one have cheated u…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue