After cheque bounce money siphoned by bank w/o notice. What can i do?

I made a credit card settlement from XYZ Bank in year 2007, foresaid amount to be paid in 3 installments so I made 2 cash and 1 PDC cheque. However, the cheque got bounced and there was no intimation from bank's side.


Suddenly 2 months back the bank employees pop out and forced me to repay rest of the amount which is now 41000. They have also siphoned the 20K from my bank account which was only 7 months old.


They said the siphoned amount will not be returned and I have to pay rest of the amount in installments. Please suggest. What should I do?




As to the fact that your cheque bounced, the legal recourse for the bank is to send you a notice within 30 days and thereafter if you don’t pay, then file a criminal complaint against you. The procedure adopted by the bank is completely illegal.


You can approach the Banking Ombudsman under the Banking Ombudsman Scheme, 2006. This is a senior official appointed by the Reserve Bank of India to redress customer complaints against deficiency in banking services, as per its scheme introduced in 1995. All scheduled commercial banks, regional rural banks and scheduled primary cooperative banks are covered under the scheme. The addresses and contact details of Banking Ombudsman are available on the RBI website.


The ombudsman tries to effect a legally binding settlement between both the parties within a month. However, if a settlement is not possible, it will pass an award after allowing both the parties to present their cases to him.


The type of grievances handled by the Banking Ombudsman include grievances related to plastic money, unfair banking practices, levying of service charges without prior intimation, transactions on the Internet banking platform, and the like. For a complete list of the types of complaints you can take up under this scheme, visit


You have to file the complaint at the office of the ombudsman under whose jurisdiction your bank branch is located. You can put it down on a plain paper, send an e-mail, or fill the complaint form on the RBI website. There are no charges for filing a complaint. The ombudsman can reject a customer's complaint if he has not approached his bank for grievance redressal first, or if the subject is pending for disposal, or has already been dealt with at any other forum, such as a court of law or consumer court. Also, the complaint will not be considered if more than one year has passed since the customer has heard from the bank, or 13 months since the date of representation to the bank.


If you are not happy with the settlement offered by the ombudsman, you can file an appeal before the appellate authority within 30 days. The appellate authority in this case is the deputy governor of the RBI.


Alternatively, you can approach consumer redressal forums, which take up bank-related complaints, or even the courts.


Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Cheque Bounce Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Jai Shiv Darshan Giri
Santoshi Nagar, Ring Road Chowk, Raipur
14 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
18 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
16 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Cheque Bounce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Legal Services

15 Minutes Cheque Bounce Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 104 ratings
Legal advice and answers from a local experienced advocate about your Cheque Bounce issue
Legal Notice / Reply to Legal Notice

4.7 | 83 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - Send a legal notice through an experienced advocate
Similar questions

Can we claim double amount for cheque bounce case the cheque for 5 lakhs which was given to me says account closed which is why it got bounced want to…

Read More

If a order is against in my favour in lower court , can I move which court District court or High Court ?…

Read More

Hello sir , I was working a pvt ltd.firm for last nine month.My company was winding up without any intimation.I was call form salary .My company owner…

Read More

i have filed a petition on one rajendher for cheque bounce. i cannot find his address to send the legal notice.what should i do.…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue