quesMoney earned after selling my old car do I have to pay tax

Sir, I have sold my 4 years old car in 4.5 lac. I would like to know weather this amount is taxable or not if taxable than what I should do? And should I declare this amount in my annual return filing. Regard

  • ansQUERY:
    The querist wants to know whether the consideration received from sale of a car is subject to tax (direct) or not and querist further wants to know if he needs to declare this consideration in its tax return.
    NOTE: It is presumed that the car owned by the querist is for personal use and not used for business purposes.
    As the querist was using this car used for personal use it is out of the definition of Capital Assets given under Section 2(14) of Income Tax Act, 1961. Thus, the consideration received from its sale will not be considered as a transfer of capital assets and cannot be subject to tax under Section 45 of the Act.
    Further, this transaction cannot be subject to tax under the head of ‘income from other sources’ also as it falls out of the purview of Section 56 of the Act. Therefore, consideration received in respect of sale of personal car is not liable to income tax.
    Coming to the next question regarding declaring this consideration in the income tax return; as consideration received by the querist does not fall under the category of taxable income under any of the five heads of income, the online filing portal of income tax return will not acknowledge this receipt and thus, in a way there is no need to declare this income in the return.
    There is no liability of income tax on the consideration received in lieu of sale of personal car and also there is no need to declare this consideration in the ITR return.

    Advocate Deepak Thackur

      Beriwalah Bagh, Delhi

  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Tax Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Consult best Tax lawyers in India

Similar questions

Hello, I am planning to open a new Start-up and for that I would need…

What kind of panalties or fine can be impose in case proper bills/doments are not…

I sold my property in Bangalore in April 2014, to a highly respected Chartered Accountant.…
If I have cash in hand of rupee 7 lacs. As per my book of…

Tax Lawyers in India

Advocate Anuj Aggarwal

  Model Town, Phase 3
 Experience: 13 years

Advocate Ankita Singh

 Experience: 4 years

Advocate Sameer Hussain

  SR Nagar
 Experience: 13 years

Advocate N Sudalai Muthu

  Ram Nagar
 Experience: 11 years

View all >>

How it Works

Know how LawRato makes legal advice easier and effortless

Ask a Free Question

Post a question and get free advice from multiple lawyers

Talk to a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly