quescan cheque bounce case be filed if cheque is stopped as goods faulty

I paid Rs.1.35 Lacs for a 2nd hand car. Paid 1.15 paid and had to pay 20k later. Brought car home and it broke down. Sent it for repair to the mechanic and then the owner said he will get it repaired. He got some parts changed but later the engine was disbalanced. Wen I drove car back, the oil leaked and car got heated. Showed it to service center where they said that the repair and some parts are faulty. I have now stopped the cheque of Rs.20,000 balance that I had paid to the owner. Can he file a cheque bounce case against me? How can I safeguard against this?

• ansRegarding your first query, yes the owner can file a cheque against you.

Regarding your second query you can send a legal notice to the owner asking for compensation for the harassment and financial loss within 15 to 30 days time.

If he does not comply to the legal notice, you can file both civil and criminal case against him.