quesTransfer of property to Indian and non-Indian citizens.

I have a property in Chennai. I intend settling the property in favor of my children now itself. Can i register the property now itself , and if so what is the stamp duty i need to pay. I have 4 children, 3 daughters and I son. Out of them 2 are Us Citizen ( son and one daughter) . Should all of them come and sign in front of the register, alternatively can they give a POA to someone and can they execute the same. If POA is given by the US Citizen what is the procedure.

  • ansI would not advise you to execute gift deed at present. Once you have transferred property in favour of your children there is no guarantee that your children will look after you in your old age. Further, you may need funds for your medical treatment. Hence it is in your interest to execute will in favour of your children.

    However, if you so desire you can execute gift deed in favour of your children. It would attract 2% stamp duty in maharashtra depending upon market value of property. It needs to be registered by the donor in presence of 2 attesting witnesses. Gift must be accepted by donee during lifetime of donor. Presence of donee is not mandatory. Donee can appoint POA to accept the gift.

  • Send a legal notice to builder for delay in construction @ Rs. 1999/- only

    Know More
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Consult best Property lawyers in India

Similar questions

i want to transfer my plot property to my younger brother by notary or affidavit.…
After getting the property vacated under section 13 A of East Punjab rent restriction act,…
Dear sir, I have a property in Lucknow want to sale it but i have…
How long will the preparation of a gift deed and the subsequent registration for a…

Property Lawyers in India

Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

  Supreme Court of India
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai

  Greater Kailash 1
 Experience: 14 years

Advocate J. P. Rinwa

  High Court
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate R C Mahajan

  Paschim Vihar
 Experience: 23 years

View all >>

How it Works

Know how LawRato makes legal advice easier and effortless

Ask a Free Question

Post a question and get free advice from multiple lawyers

Talk to a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly