quesSelf acquired property of father was settled between sons

Self acquired property of father was settled between sons through unregistered family settlement deed excluding daughters in the year 1980 in Karnataka state. After the death of father in the year 1991,the property records were mutated according to the settlement deed. Now the daughters are claiming the share in the property and they have sent notice in Feb 2015. Does daughter have rights in the property? Is the claim barred by limitation?

  • ans

    As per law the deceased is  required to make a Will and distribute his property. So if there is not Will, then as per Section 10 of Hindu Succession Act, the property will devolve equally among all legal heir. 

    Further family settlement agreement is usually executed when a Partition is required to take place and further same has to be registered.

    In the instant case, since your father died without a Will, so your sister and mother can claim right on the property

  • Send a legal notice to builder for delay in construction @ Rs. 1999/- only

    Know More
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
  • Related Articles

Consult best Property lawyers in India

Similar questions

who is the owner of assets of father after expired? sons or wife who will…
Got a registered GPA for property from a person to sale. But the person now…
We gifted a land of 7ft breadth and 125metres length to panchayat.But we have neithe…

Sir/madam , I hav some property , it cames from my father's mother and she…

Property Lawyers in India

Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

  Supreme Court of India
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai

  Greater Kailash 1
 Experience: 14 years

Advocate Dr.Gubbi S Subba Rao

  K G Road
 Experience: 31 years

Advocate Prashant Mendiratta

  Lajpat Nagar 4
 Experience: 24 years

View all >>

How it Works

Know how LawRato makes legal advice easier and effortless

Ask a Free Question

Post a question and get free advice from multiple lawyers

Talk to a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly