quesPartner of a firm started another firm with similar name. What to do?

Ours is a partnership firm started 3 years back consisting of three partners. Few days back i got to know that one of the partners has started another firm with similar name in the same sector. Now he wants us to hire a resource to perform duties assigned to him so that he can concentrate on his new venture. The problem is that similar resource would require us to pay higher cost than what we have been drawing from the firm at present time. Moreover how can we share details of our business with someone who has now become a direct competitor. Please suggest what r the options available with me.

  • ans

    When you started a Partnership firm, at that time, you must have executed Partnership deed, in the said partnership deed. In the said patnership deed there must be an exit clause where any of the partners can exit from the firm. In case there a clause, please follow the clause and accordingly send him notice regarding the same.

    Further, your other partner cannot start a new firm with same name in the same sector. You can take a legal action against him and send him a legal notice through a lawyer, wherein you should clearly mention, the said facts.  

    Also, if you intend to share confidentiality with any of the resource then get an NDA executed from the resource which should clearly state that they cannot disclose the information.

  • ansWas there a lock-in for each partner? It is settled law that a partner of a firm cannot engage in two competing ventures. You can get an injunction order against him restraining him from being participating in two ventures. Meet a lawyer with a copy of your partnership deed.

    Advocate Dhruv Suri

      Barakhamba Road, Delhi

  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Corporate Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Consult best Corporate lawyers in India

Similar questions

if the company down fall and not refund the money to the invester .invester do…

Resp. Sir, I found one Natya sanstha i.e. Drama company to perform drama. Now I…

We are 3 partners IT solutions partnership firm. We have a stake of 30% each.…

Dear Team, We had formed a private limited company by 4 of us 6 months…

Corporate Lawyers in India

Advocate Dr.Gubbi S Subba Rao

  K G Road
 Experience: 31 years

Advocate Rajesh K.S

  Rajaji Nagar
 Experience: 11 years

Dr. Sudhir Ravindran

 Experience: 18 years

Advocate Sunil Dalal

  New Friends Colony
 Experience: 20 years

View all >>

How it Works

Know how LawRato makes legal advice easier and effortless

Ask a Free Question

Post a question and get free advice from multiple lawyers

Talk to a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly