Is the will valid if my name is listed in it but I don't have a copy

My brother hasn,t provided me a copy of the will. It is 10 years since my mother passd away, and my brother hasnt provided me a copy of the will. He has only told me that my name is in the will and i am not Been given anything. He has said there is codecil that the 2nd floor is allocated to his son. My mother Left ablank, and told me that it isfor me. Is the will valid since i havent been given a copy. I am an hindu. It ia property question.

Answers (3)

314 votes

if the will is registered, you can get the same from the sub-registrar office paying by paying requisite fees. You can challenge the will itself before the court , if you have any doubt regarding the will as you are one among the legal heirs who are entitled to get due share in the property.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

321 votes

Please file a partition suit. The existence if Will is itself doubtful. If it was there your brother would have claimed the property. Therefore assuming that there us no Will you can file suit for partition.

Popular Wills / Trusts Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
185 votes

What is the nature of property probably it is a residential building. How did your mother got it. Is it her self acquisition or got from your father or given to her by her parents.
How many children she has left to succeed to her estate You should clarify these requirements to reply your question

Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Wills / Trusts Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."