Grandson's right on grand father's self acquired land given by Will

03-Apr-2023 (In Wills / Trusts Law)
According to Hindu Law, how can a grandson legally verify if he is entitled to a property or other asset given to him as a part of his grandfather's will? Father not disclosing contents of the will. Property is self acquired by grandfather and has only one son, the father.
Answers (3)

Answer #1
857 votes
If your father is not disclosing you the content of the will then you can either file a suit for declaration in appropriate Court seeking relief of declaration that the property which you know has been willed in your favour, belongs to you and you alone have title to it.

Or a civil suit can be filed praying that father may be directed to share the copy of the will with and then you can proceed with probation of the will

The Court will call upon the father in both the scenario and he will be obligated to disclose the will to you
Answer #2
520 votes
first of all you have to know about the will , if it is registered will or not ? if it is registered then u can search it from the concerned registrar office. if not u file the partition suit and mentioned about the will in question also in which the father will disclose the contents of will in his written statement and likewise u can get the Will also.
secondly, if he does not disclose the will in question then also u have the right to file the partition suit an can get your right.
Answer #3
955 votes
If the property bequeathed by the grandfather to the father was a self-acquired property, the Will will be valid and the son will not have any right on the said property as it will be treated as the father's self-acquired property. In this case, the father is not obligated to disclose the contents of the Will to you.
However, if the property that was bequeathed was actually ancestral, then the Will would not be valid and you could claim a right on the same.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details.

Report abuse?

Comments by Users

No Comments! Be the first one to comment.

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."