Grandfather made will to give property not giving it to granddaughter

We are 2 daughters to our parents aged 29yr and 26yr. We live in Delhi. I am a software engineer and am married. Our hometown is in Haryana where our paternal property is situated. My father are 3 brothers and 3 sisters. All are married. Our paternal property division took place almost 15 years back. My father was given share in residential and agricultural land. But since my father was in air force, he allowed my uncle to stay in our residential allotted house with grandparents. It is house in a village of Sonipat. But now I have come to know that my grandfather has written a will to give that house to my 2 cousin brothers since my father does not have son and I married a boy from a different caste. That land is not registered land. Just want to know if something could be done in this case. Is it right that because we are girls, we are deprived of our paternal property.

Answers (4)

196 votes

yes, by way of 2005 amendment to Hindu Succession Act, daughters have same interest in the ancestral property as do the sons have.
Therefore, if your interest in the ancestral property has been identified and crystallized by division of the property where your father was given the residential house, then the same can't be undone by your grandfather by writing a will in your cousins' favour qua the residential house just because you are daughters and one of you has done inter caste marriage. your co-parcenary interest in the ancestral property has been created at the time of your birth as the law recognizes and the same had been defined by common consensus when the residential house was given to your father.

you can file a civil suit in Court to have the will in favour of your cousins's to be invalid, and can ask the Court to have the property transferred to your names.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

332 votes

Hi. In the narrow conspectus of facts shared by you, it appears that you will have to initiate appropriate proceedings in court of law for claiming a share. Daughters have a right in the property owned by their father.

Popular Wills / Trusts Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
35 years Experience
116 votes

it is important to see as to how division took place and secondly the contents of will etc. if written. It is not known if the grandfather is still alive. There is a need to go in depth to see the documents etc. only then there could be certain legal actions advisable which may be helpful.

53 votes

NO.... You and your sister cannot be deprived of your legal rights. But under the given facts and situation it is very important for me as an Advocate to first go through the entire chain of property documents and your family structure.
You have a strong prima facie case in your favour but we need to get in depth of the documents.
Good luck.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Wills / Trusts Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."