Continue to LawRato.com with Google


Tax policy on interest payment by developer as compensation

I had booked office space in 2009 and the handing over of project was delayed by 6 years.Developer has offered possession of it in 2017 and agreed to pay compensation.The developer has deducted 10% TDS on interest paid.Kindly clarify if interest payment by developer as compensation is taxable under IT.

Answers (1)

Usually, compensation doesn’t attract tax because it is only ‘capital receipt’. But ‘interest’ will attract tax, as it makes good the loss a person incurs. The Supreme Court recent order uses the word ‘interest’, it is likely home buyers will be liable to pay tax on the interest amount. The original amount paid for the flat will not be liable for tax,”.
The builder will deduct tax at source (TDS) at 10 per cent, but if a home buyer is in a higher tax bracket, he or she will have to show the interest payment received under other income and pay tax according to the tax slab.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Tax Lawyers

Advocate Kapil Chandna
Patiala House Court, Delhi
6 years Experience
Advocate Manish G Varma
Fort, Mumbai
16 years Experience
Advocate Athar Amaan Hava
Navrangpura, Ahmedabad
13 years Experience
Advocate Nagendra Prasad
Kumara Park West, Bangalore
31 years Experience

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Similar questions

We have received and contract from Out side of india party but goods and work done in india maharshtra, pl. what implication of Taxes on us such as ex…

Read More

Dear Sir, I have a consultancy firm. We provide service to our members only. Our membership fee is 200/- and consultancy fee 51 to 1100. Our membershi…

Read More

We had purchased a flat in Noida in 2012. We have heard that as per law now buyers can claim service tax refund with 6% of interest that they had paid…

Read More

Dear Sir, TDS of Income Tax has been deducted from pension account for the months of Dec 16, Jan 17 and final amount has to be deducted in Feb 17. On …

Read More

Get free assistance for your legal issue