×

Right of the school to ask for parents income tax return

Hi All, My daughter is studying in Sr.kg in one of the English Medium school in Ahmedabad, Gujarat. Recently, when I visited to collect the second term result, the class teacher handed me the Admission form for the 1st standard and ask me to submit my Income Tax return along with it within 15 days. For your reference, I am from General category and have not taken admission of my child under any government schemes etc. The Admission was taken as normal walk-in for Jr.kg. Even, on the current admission form (for 1st standard) under required documents, the income tax return is not mentioned. They are asking / advising verbally about it. What are my rights, if I do not want to disclose my IT return to my child school? Can they deny admission or what course of action should I take in this situation? 

It is very shocking to hear that the Schools are demanding the copy of Income Tax Returns from parents. Under no provision of law it is provided for asking the income tax returns from parents. You are under no Obligation to submit the copy of income tax returns. You can simply deny verbally and also for your records you can write a letter to the school indicating that you were verbally told to produce the copy of income tax returns and your are not providing the same as it is not required under any provisions of law. You can also write a statement indicating to the School that if admission of your child is denied on the basis of non-providing of Income TAx Returns, necessary legal consequence and actions shall follow. Further, if they still demand the income tax letter, a letter can be written to the Secretary of the Education Minister demanding action against the School.

You have to show it if the fees of the school is too high I.e. above 2 lakh. Because they want to chek as weather you are able to pay the fees or not. If the school is private then yes they can deny the admission

Popular Tax Lawyers

Advocate Kapil Chandna
Patiala House Court, Delhi
Advocate Manish G Varma
Fort, Mumbai
Advocate Athar Amaan Hava
Navrangpura, Ahmedabad
Advocate Nagendra Prasad
Kumara Park West, Bangalore