Right of the school to ask for parents income tax return

Hi All, My daughter is studying in Sr.kg in one of the English Medium school in Ahmedabad, Gujarat. Recently, when I visited to collect the second term result, the class teacher handed me the Admission form for the 1st standard and ask me to submit my Income Tax return along with it within 15 days. For your reference, I am from General category and have not taken admission of my child under any government schemes etc. The Admission was taken as normal walk-in for Jr.kg. Even, on the current admission form (for 1st standard) under required documents, the income tax return is not mentioned. They are asking / advising verbally about it. What are my rights, if I do not want to disclose my IT return to my child school? Can they deny admission or what course of action should I take in this situation? 

Answers (2)

It is very shocking to hear that the Schools are demanding the copy of Income Tax Returns from parents. Under no provision of law it is provided for asking the income tax returns from parents. You are under no Obligation to submit the copy of income tax returns. You can simply deny verbally and also for your records you can write a letter to the school indicating that you were verbally told to produce the copy of income tax returns and your are not providing the same as it is not required under any provisions of law. You can also write a statement indicating to the School that if admission of your child is denied on the basis of non-providing of Income TAx Returns, necessary legal consequence and actions shall follow. Further, if they still demand the income tax letter, a letter can be written to the Secretary of the Education Minister demanding action against the School.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

You have to show it if the fees of the school is too high I.e. above 2 lakh. Because they want to chek as weather you are able to pay the fees or not. If the school is private then yes they can deny the admission

Popular Tax Lawyers

Advocate Shikhar Khare
Jangpura Extension, Delhi
6 years Experience
Advocate Barkha Bhalla
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
16 years Experience
Advocate Rohit Ranjan Sinha
Pur Pundag, Ranchi
11 years Experience
Advocate Nagendra Prasad
Kumara Park West, Bangalore
32 years Experience

Related Articles

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Tax Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Similar questions

I have purchased one house in the name of one my friend and now I am willing to transfer this property in my mother's name ..Is this taxable in In…

Read More

What kind of panalties or fine can be impose in case proper bills/doments are not available. I have a small grocery store. My daily buisness range fro…

Read More

my friend had made me a nominee and all his money has been transferred to me after his death, i want to know how can i save myself from paying tax fro…

Read More

Sir, I was having 680 shares of blue Moon developer pvt ltd. I transfer 680 company shares to shri Sanjeev narindra bedi by agreement date 22 April 20…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue