Query on the matter of claiming HRA from employer

In Tax Law
sir i want to know that me and my husband aregovernment employee working in different states, can we claim HRA separately????

Answers (1)

64 votes
If husband is working in State Government and wife works in Central Government, then a maximum of 6000 INR is allotted for both. Thus if the wife gets INR 6000 as HRA in her salary, then the husband will not be entitled to any HRA. If both the husband and wife are working with the Central Government and are not availing the government quarters for living, both would be eligible for HRA stipulated by the governing body and the finance department. Even if one decides to enjoy government quarter facility, HRA will not be granted to the couple.According to State Government, similar rules are followed. The Calcutta High Court recently announced that HRA for a government working couple will be granted if any one of them is stationed at a distance of 250 kms away from the spouse. In this case both husband and wife enjoys the benefits of HRA. Different states of India have a different set of HRA rules. So it is best advisable to check with the state legislations.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.


Popular Tax Lawyers

Advocate Suksham Aggarwal
District and Sessions Court, Ambala
10 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
38 years Experience
Advocate Ravi Jadhav
Koregaon Park, Pune
15 years Experience
Advocate Vikash Shangari
City Civil Court, Jamshedpur
16 years Experience

Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Tax Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Comments by Users

No Comments! Be the first one to comment.

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."