Invoking Writ Jurisdiction when the matter comes under various HCs

In Supreme Court Law
My client has sanctioned a loan from Madhya Pradesh but he hails from Maharashtra. The bank from which he sanctioned the loan, its corporal office is in Mumbai. So, if a writ petition has to be filed, before which High Court can it be filed? Before the Bombay HC or the HC of MP? Are there any SC precedents, or guidelines? It would be great if you can get back soon.

Answers (1)

279 votes
Well, if the Headquarters of the Bank is located in Mumbai, then, you should file the Writ Petition in the Bombay High Court or you should file the writ in the State of that High Court where your Fundamental Right has been violated if you have the intent to file a Writ under Article 226 of the Indian Constitution.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.


Popular Supreme Court Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
23 years Experience
Advocate H Gouri Shankar
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
27 years Experience
Advocate Suksham Aggarwal
District and Sessions Court, Ambala
10 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
29 years Experience

Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Supreme Court Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Comments by Users

No Comments! Be the first one to comment.

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."