Can a 3rd person file an RTI to obtain the legal owner of the property

A person has illegally occupied a piece of land.The actual owner of that land is unknown.There is a news that the actual owner has moved out of India with his relatives.So basically there is no one from actual owner's side to claim the said property but the fact is confirmed that there was no kind of legal transfer of ownership of that land between both parties. My question is:- Can a third person who is not at all related to illegal occupant or to the actual owner,file an RTI and make the illegal occupant answerable to prove the ownership of occupied land. I request some lawyer to answer this query.I will get in touch with him/her for further assistance/advice. Thanks

Answers (1)

144 votes

Dear sir, The RTI act is not applicable on private person, and he is not answerable if any person sent him a rti application for their queries. RTI application can only send to a government organization or government funded society.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular R.T.I Lawyers

Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
Advocate Ravi Jadhav
Koregaon Park, Pune
13 years Experience
Advocate Suksham Aggarwal
District and Sessions Court, Ambala
8 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the R.T.I Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles