Cheque stolen, tampered and cleared

I had issued a cheque on my account in Bombay Mercantile Bank for Rs. 8 lakhs in favour of my name to be deposited in my another bank account in HDFC Bank. I had dropped the cheque in HDFC Bank’s Drop box. However, the amount had not been credited to my account. After verifying records with BMC bank, we discovered that it had been credited to an unknown person. After clarifying with HDFC Bank, it was found that there was an incidence of a break in and there was theft of cheques from the drop box. The cheque was stolen from the custody of HDFC Bank & misused by a third-party. The amount was debited from my BMC account even though the cheque was altered as per image copy of my cheque. We submitted our complaint to RBI Ombudsman for justice but after 4 months we received the reply stating that this doesn’t come under their purview. Please advice what should be our next step as the amount is quite substantial for us. Thank you.

Answers (2)

186 votes

first on the same day you should had made an FIR as per the jurisdiction and inform the bank to reverse the amount in which account the amount had been transferred
first lodge FIR and give a complain letter to hdfc bank also

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

116 votes

First and foremost you should file an FIR with the local police station to get all the above queries on record on incidences like these it is advisable to always file a first information report with the police station as there may have been other cheques also which must have got stolen from that branch

Popular Recovery Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Recovery Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles