Sister staying in USA how can she issue POA to purchase a property

Sir / Madam I live in India and my sister lives in USA. we are jointly purchasing a flat in India. As the price of flat is more than 50 Lakhs, we may have to register agreements with the builder. Can my sister print the format of POA, sign it front of Embassy / Consulate official or any attorney / Notary there and courier it to me. OR I have to print the POA format on Rs 300 Stamp Paper and courier it to her. then after signing in front of Embassy / Consulate official or any attorney / Notary there and courier it to me. Should i adjudicate or register it in sub- registerar or majistrate office

Answers (2)

129 votes

A deed of power of attorney is framed complying with laws of both the countries involved. (In the present case USA and India) The deed is made sustainable to legal challenge by notarising it from the authorized officer in the Indian Consulate/Embassy.

Once the deed is executed from the embassy, it is sent to India for registration along with all the signatures and the payment of stamp fees according to section 2(17) along with schedule I of Indian Stamp Act, 1899. Once registration is done under the adjudication of the sub-registrar, the PoA should be sufficient for the purpose.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

327 votes

Sister who lives in USA can execute a POA Deed in favour of one person who stays in India and can do the activiites of the executant for the purpose of the agreement. That POA DEED can be attested through the Embassy .

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles