Sister in law asking for share in ancestral property what to do

There is some ancestral property of husband. The property was divided equally amongst father in law and his brothers. After getting the share my father in law expired in 2003. Now my sister in law who was married in 2000 is now claiming share in the property. Does she have right over the property? She is forcefully taking possession of the property.

Answers (2)

344 votes

First of all I need to know where does the property lie! Property laws differ in different parts of the country. She can claim her right in the property as the property is ancestral. I therefore need more details qua the property and current situation.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

166 votes

In the ancestral property every son and daughter has equal right and interest and your sister -in law can claim her share in ancestral property but if she first time claim in 2000 at the time of marriage or in 2003 at the time of death she can not claim in 2016 since it is time bar.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate H Gouri Shankar
Dilsukhnagar, Hyderabad
24 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles