Share of the son in the property if father dies intestate

My father died in 1989 without will.l have one married sister. Am I the only rightful owner of the house and can I transfer house in my name without consent of my sister..I have original registry and death certs of my father

Answers (3)

164 votes

No you alone can not transfer house, in this house If your Grand father, Grand Mother, Mother, Brother/s, sister/s have equal rights ...................................................................

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

245 votes

If your mother is alive then after your father's death then your mother will be the sole rightful owner of that house. Further, with the consent of your mother, you can execute the will in your favor wherein your sister will not have any right in that house.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
18 years Experience
83 votes

No! You are not even owner of the property.
You cannot transfer any part of the property without legally partitioning it.

Having registry and having registry in your name, are two totally different things. The registry you currently have, is in the name of your father, just keeping it will not make you owner of it. And, possessing death certificate of the deceased never confers any right in the property of the deceased.

Now, the property will be equally divided among all the legal heirs of your father. And, after the partition, you will be able to dispose of your share according to your will.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Similar questions

Hello Sir, We were a family of four people consist of My father ,Mother ,elder Brother and Myself.My father got expired in 2012 leaving my mother ,me …

Read More

Hi, I live in a joint family. My grandfather has 2 brothers. All 3 of them jointly ran a business. Recently all 3 of them separated with mutual consen…

Read More

My grand father bought a property, may be 42 year ago. Source of fund was income from agriculture. Agriculture was done in the hereditary land from gr…

Read More

My cousin brother has dispute with his parents. His grandfather bought some property. His father got the property from the grandfather through Will. D…

Read More