Share of child in property of grand father after divorce of parents

My daughter got divorced by mutual consent in USA. They have a daughter who was born in USA. Her ex-husband is paying maintenance which shall cease once her daughter becomes 18. Her ex- father-in-law has lot of property in India. Can my daughter/grand daughter legally claim some share from that property? Both are in USA where my daughter is working. If yes, in which court they can approach?

Answers (2)

58 votes

Your grand daughter alone can claim a share of her grand father's(father's father) property.
She can also claim maintenance till she is 21 years old and also claim for her academic and marriage expenses.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

126 votes

1.In the instance case, your daughter can not claim property, since she is legally divorced wife.
2.Where as your grand daughter can claim share in her father's property.(property documents to be verified)
3. She can file partition suit in family court with in her jurisdiction

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles