Rights of grandson in maternal grandfather's self acquired property

My maternal grandfather (nana) purchased a house in 1968. My mother got married in 1985 and I was born in June 1986. However, my mother expired in Dec. 1986. Thereafter, my Nana expired in 2014 without any will. My mother's brother (mama) and his family are currently in possession of the residential house. My mama is now in planning to sell this house and is reluctant to share the sale proceeds with me. I wanted to know if legally, I have any right in this property and can file a case to stop my mama or claim my share. Please help.

Answers (3)

205 votes

You can surely file a case as since your grandfather died without a will you shall acquire a right in this property. Also since the property is self acquired, you and your mother shall have a right in it in accordance with the hindu succession act

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

256 votes

U have share in ur mothers property as she will b inheriting her share from her father's property..generally u get share in ur father's property but since ur maternal grandfather had no will...then the property has to b divided..by metes n bounds u have to file suit for partition n seek a decree..n ask for stay of alienation

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
186 votes

Yea offcourse .. You certainly have a right to get an equal share in the property like your mama.. It is best to file a suit for partition before he sells of trhe property and take a stay order from the court . A son of a pre deceased daughter is a class1 legal heir and shares equally with other class one heirs .

Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles