property issue as bought jointly by parents but now mom moved out

My dad and mom have a property in both their names. They both had been working and have together invested. Now both are retired and because of domestic violence, she had to leave him and she is left with nothing. My dad refuses to give her the house. What can my mom do in this situation? Your advice will be highly valued.

Answers (2)

117 votes

if your mother has filed a criminal case against your father under D.V.Act, then under the same act she can seek for protection of her rights in the property jointly owned by her also.
If she has not filed the case, then she must file it and seek for protection of the property, alternatively she can also file an injunction suit before the civil court and obtain a permanent injunction against your father from trying to sell the property or in any manner create any third party rights, lien or charge over the said property, without obtaining the written consent of your mother in all such transactions.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

268 votes

Hi sir/madam, your mother is having every right to get her share as joint property of your mother in the said property. You mother can file civil suit for partition before the jurisdictional civil court.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles