Property inheritance and adverse possesion

Hello I am looking for some advice on filing a case. Background: My Grandfather had a shop. He died 1988 without a will. Grandfather had 11 children 8 male and 3 female. Original paperwork of the property is not known and all 11 claim they are lost. My father had the possession of the shop since 1988 as he was running it. He closed the shop in 2001 as he wanted to retire. My father died in 2016 which left the shop to me and my mother. None of my father's siblings are in talking terms, some have moved abroad and some have died. No negotiation is possible as there are too many parties involved now. No legal case has been filed by any sibling for the property. Query: 1. Can I file a case in the court to get me ownership of the property based on adverse possession as we have possession for over 12 years? a. What will be the process to do this? b. What are the risks of doing this, as I don't want to lose the property. 2. If i cannot claim under adverse possession what will b

Answers (3)

99 votes

Adverse possession may favour you and your mother in these circumstances. A careful perusal of the title record of the property is pertinent and necessary. Further and better particulars are needed for an effective opinion.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

300 votes

hello client as your father died in 2016 you are the only son holding the position that property at present .

as per the judgement of Supreme Court yes you can claim the right of ownership in that shop but as well as other things also bit to be seen in the

we need to file a case as per the value of the shop in the competent court giving order that you are the owner of the property now

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience
331 votes

Hello I have perused your query. In these circumstances if the property is ancestral and your grandfather died intestate then the said property will be inherited equally by his class one legal heirs. If the siblings are now not in talking terms and your father had the possession since 1988 then by adverse possession you can claim the property.

You can register the property in your name and mutate the same in your name.

For further information feel free to contact me

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles