Continue to LawRato.com with Google


Previous owner not issuing NOC for electricity connection transfer

Hi, I own an apartment, which I bought as the 5th owner. The 2nd owner has the electricity connection on her name and she has expired. The 3rd owner also happens to be 2nd owner son. The 3rd owner, being an owner and also an heir of the deceased owning the electricity connection, is required to provide me a NoC for connection transfer as per WB State Electricity Distribution Company Limited (WBSEDCL). The registered sales deeds are attested with Assistant Registrar Kolkata, mutation is done. I also have been paying municipal taxes after the mutation. WBSEDCL requirement is absurd, given the fact my ownership is established. But the problem is, the person supposed to provide me the NoC (3rd owner) has refused to do so. Initially he dilly dallied, then his wife slammed the door on us. Anti-social behavior apart, I remember all deeds documents clearly stating that the owner agrees to transfer all liabilities and benefits. What are my legal options? Thanks Regards

Answers (4)

Send a legal notice to the previous owner, failing which you can file a case in District Consumer Forum. You can also file a Writ Petition in High Court against the WBCEDCL and party added to the previous owner.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Without doing a further delay, kindly apply afresh for new electricity connection before WBSEDCL. They will charge Rs. 5/-, then Rs. 200/- and then again Rs. 200/- thereafter they are bound to give you new electricity connection in your name within one month from the date of application as per Indian Electricity Act irrespective of any objection by the previous owner. You only show the deed of yours and the mutation certificate to prove your possession in the flat. Even after that if the connection is not provided, move a writ petition before our Calcutta High Court and the High Court has already got plenty of instances and judgements in such situation directing to provide electricity connection even with police protection if required. Simultaneously you apply for disconnection of your existing connection in the flat. Regards.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar
Connaught Place, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Harish Malhotra
District Court, Gurgaon
21 years Experience
Advocate Prashant Mendiratta
Lajpat Nagar 4, Delhi
25 years Experience
Advocate T Kalaiselvan
Kosapet, Vellore
17 years Experience

The utility company, WBSEDCL, barring compelling circumstances, can't extend energy connection to any premises where already one connection is already in place.You please check the position in the registered sale deed Whether there is a provision which speaks for legal obligation​ on the part seller of the property to provide NOC to the buyer of the property in the matter of referred electricity connection . If such provision is available in the sale deed, straight way ask the seller in writing to provide you NOC setting out a time line.Copy of the same to be given to Area zonal manager WBSEDCL and Head Legal WBSEDCL,Bidyut Bhavan, Karunamoyee.However, if no such provision is available in the sale deed, meet personally above head legal for an alternative administrative solution.If help/suggestion is not available from him, approach the electricity ombudsman at sector 5 Salt lake city, Kolkata for securing order on WBSEDCL to provide you Electricity connection in your name as per extant rules.For further instructions contact lawRato.

Respected Madam/ Sir.
I read your matter very carefully and I like to suggest you to file both criminal and civil case suit and also there is provision for Constitutional Writ at High Court Calcutta directly.
Further progress please contact me.

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Fixed Cost Legal Services

15 Minutes Property Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 541 ratings
Fixed Price Rs. 499
Ask questions and get advice from a local experienced advocate on your Property Matter
Document Review - Agreement to Sell

4.7 | 108 ratings
Fixed Price Rs. 1999
Review + 30 Min phone call - Agreement to Sell review by a local experienced advocate
Draft a Sale Deed / Property Purchase Agreement

4.6 | 197 ratings
Fixed Price Rs. 9999
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - Sale Deed / Property Purchase Agreement drafted by a local experienced advocate
Document Review - Gift Deed

4.3 | 37 ratings
Fixed Price Rs. 3499
Review + 30 Min phone call - Gift Deed review by a local experienced advocate
Draft a Gift Deed

4.6 | 182 ratings
Fixed Price Rs. 6999
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - Gift Deed drafted by a local experienced advocate
Document Review - Sale Deed

4.8 | 73 ratings
Fixed Price Rs. 4999
Review + 30 Min phone call - Sale Deed review by a local experienced advocate
Property Registration

4.7 | 291 ratings
Fixed Price Rs. 9999
Get your property registered through an experienced local advocate
Title Opinion Report

4.8 | 193 ratings
Fixed Price Rs. 4999
Get a detailed Title Opinion Report by expert real estate lawyers in your city
Draft an Agreement to Sell

4.9 | 94 ratings
Fixed Price Rs. 6000
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - Agreement to sell drafted by a local experienced advocate
Property Verification / Due Diligence

4.8 | 421 ratings
Fixed Price Rs. 7499
Property Verification, Title Search and due diligence conducted by a local experienced advocate
Legal Notice for Delay in Construction

4.4 | 24 ratings
Fixed Price Rs. 2499
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
Legal Heir / Succession Certificate

4.8 | 71 ratings
Fixed Price Rs. 19999
Apply for a Legal Heir / Succession Certificate through a local experienced advocate
Similar questions

the builder have formed an association of apartment with deed of declaration, how we enter our entry of mutation in revenue department record of 7/12…

Read More

SIR,i have bought a flat in kolkata area with sanctioned loan from bank and registration certificate too..though i dont have mutation in corporation b…

Read More

i had applied for mutation of the purchased property in bakhshi ka talab tehsil lucknow and order passed on 5.10.2017 and it showing on vaad website b…

Read More

We are Hindus. On expiry of our parents we three brothers have inherited a house. We have applied for mutation . What is our responsibility after we h…

Read More

Get free assistance for your legal issue