×

Person having possession of property for 20 years claims ownership

A person lives in other's place(registered)...and pays house tax ,EB bill and other taxes in his name for about 20 years.... And then gets a patta for the land in his name... Is it legal?....Can the patta be challenged?or cancelled?

Who is the person challenging the occupation and the title is very important and he has to give a convincing reply for keeping quite for such a long period. By virtue of continuous occupation a person asserts his right to a property.

The person can claim title and ownership of the property on the grounds of adverse possession if he has enough documentary evidence to support his claim legally. However, the true owner can challenge his claim by putting the burden of proof on the other person.

Nobody can take possession of others property by occupation and by paying tax. But in your case, it is bit confusing as how can the occupant pay tax in his name if the property is in your name and no details about rent.