Person having possession of property for 20 years claims ownership

A person lives in other's place(registered)...and pays house tax ,EB bill and other taxes in his name for about 20 years.... And then gets a patta for the land in his name... Is it legal?....Can the patta be challenged?or cancelled?

Answers (3)

170 votes

Nobody can take possession of others property by occupation and by paying tax. But in your case, it is bit confusing as how can the occupant pay tax in his name if the property is in your name and no details about rent.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

80 votes

The person can claim title and ownership of the property on the grounds of adverse possession if he has enough documentary evidence to support his claim legally. However, the true owner can challenge his claim by putting the burden of proof on the other person.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
298 votes

Who is the person challenging the occupation and the title is very important and he has to give a convincing reply for keeping quite for such a long period. By virtue of continuous occupation a person asserts his right to a property.

Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles