Mother died leaving unregistered will wants to transfer the property

My mother and self own 50 Percent share each in a property. She died leaving an unregistered will bequeathing her 50 Percent share in my favour.Can I lease it out pending transfer in official records which may take some time. Can my siblings or father claim a share in the same.

Answers (4)

143 votes

You first need to get it reflected in official record, only then you will be considered the owner of share of your mother's share and will be entitled to lease it out. Even after that there is scope of challenge by your siblings which shall be contested only and you will have to prove the Will in your favour if at all it is challenged.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

269 votes

Yes You can lease out pending Transfer as well, in the capacity of landlord.
Your father cannot claim share in the property left by your father.
Your siblings can unless you prove the will and get it implemented

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
18 years Experience
169 votes

Since the share of your mother has not been transfered in your name on the basis of unregistered will , you can,t lease it out till the property is transferred in your name. Your father or other Lrs of your mother can challange the will. If you succeed in proving the will , only then you can get the share of your mother. other wise an unregistered will is also a valib document if it is proved or not contested by other Lrs of your mother.

224 votes

You have to get probate of Will from Civil Court, without probate of Will property mentioned in Will can not be transferred in your name. You have to prove Will by gill my probate petition and thereafter the properties will be transferred into your name

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Similar questions

We are staying in a Chawl as a tenant since last 60 years There is a case is going on since 2011 of encroachment of private land beetween my Landlord …

Read More

I have a 500 Sq yds plot in Anangpur Dairy near Sector 37, Faridabad. My registry is Agricultural status, but it is in Abadi area next to sector 37. D…

Read More

2007 bought a flat, in an unauthorized area in delhi. Token money was given in my name and later mom said it to give it in her name, but money was giv…

Read More

Hello, I have given token money of Rs. 1,21,000 (21,000 in cash & 100,000 in cheque)to landlord but the property documents were not proper and ban…

Read More