Legal remedy to recover husband's property from mother in law

I'm hindu woman. my hubby passed away. mother in law had changed all his property in her name by cheating my hubby. he got our house from his grandpa ( mother in law's father ) as will. now its changed in my mother in law name. as a wife, am I have any chance to get back that house of my hubby.

Answers (3)

102 votes

As per fact stated above, your mother in law is entitled to 1 share, if she didn't come forward to divide said property among other equal shareholders, you can file a suit for partition along with prayer of cancellation said transaction.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

304 votes

If it is owned by your father in law after his death the property will go to his legal heirs which include your late husband and his wife and other children if any. You can claim as a heir to your late husbands share in that property.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
144 votes

After your husband was bequeathed certain property by your father in law by will, did your husband transfer it to your mother in law by gift? If so, your mother in law's title and ownership cannot be challenged now.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles