Legal procedure to transfer property inherited from father by will

Have lost my father recently and as per his will which has been registered with local Sub registar office the house has been inherited by me post his death We are based at Chennai Q1 what is the procedure to transfer the house to my name as i am currently staying in the same house

Answers (3)

149 votes

You can approach the concerned VAO along with death certificate of your father and legal heirship certificate. He will make necessary steps to alter the records in legal parlance mutation of records.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

333 votes

you should get probate from the appropriate court and on the basis of the probate granted by the competent court you have the right to sell your fathers property. unless you cannot sell your fathers property on the basis of will itself.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
165 votes

Correct legal procedure is to probate the will of your father and once the probate of the will is over you can move the sub registrar office under which your property comes and give a formal request for transfer in your name.

Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles