Legal procedure for settlement of ancestral property

Hi My father having a small property wants to settle to his 3 sons. Religion Hindu. Father is giving good vaiue property to his first son, other 2 sons normal low value property. The questions are 1. While settling the property all sons concurrence is required or not ? 2. If other 2 sons are not satisfied means whether they can put stay order on this property ?

Answers (3)

230 votes

I take it as your ancestor property and advice you accordingly, without concurrence of other shareholders a partition cannot be effected. You may file a suit for partition and get partitioned as per law.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

126 votes

If it is ancestral property, any partition or settlement can take place only with the consent of all the co-sharers. If it is self-acquired, your father is free to create a settlement as he pleases without consent from any of you.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Nikhil Singh
Singh & Associates, Hubli
2 years Experience
Advocate Ricky Chopra
Sector - 49, Gurgaon
18 years Experience
Advocate Ricky Chopra
Karkardooma Court, Delhi
18 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
256 votes

You have not mentioned that whether the property is inherited or self acquired. If it is inherited it is the pure discretion of you father to give it according to his choice and you can not do anything .

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles