Land mutation after father's death

21-Feb-2024 (In Property Law)
My father bought a land in 1980 in gram panchayat UP and built a house. We have a behnama in my father's name. He passed away 10 years ago. Recently my brother and mother gifted me this house via a gift deed which has been registered at the local tehsil. Is it possible to get land mutation for this house? We don't have any previous land mutation for this.
Answers (2)

Answer #1
998 votes
Hi dear good afternoon. You advise to challenge gift deed is High court Lucknow and your objection will be decided and stay is also be granted when you proceed for justice. Advocate Ajay Pratap Lucknow.
Helpful? LawRato LawRato
Answer #2
567 votes
I can advise you on the process of obtaining land mutation for the house gifted to you by your brother and mother. Since the property was initially purchased by your father in 1980 and a house was built on it, and you have a behnama in your father's name, it establishes your family's ownership of the property.

Even though there is no previous land mutation for the property, you can still apply for land mutation based on the gift deed registered at the local tehsil. The gift deed effectively transfers ownership of the property to you, and it serves as a legal document for initiating the mutation process.

To proceed with the land mutation, you will need to submit an application along with relevant documents, including the gift deed, to the concerned authorities at the tehsil office. The authorities will verify the documents and may conduct a field inspection to confirm the details provided.

Once the mutation process is completed, the ownership records of the property will be updated, reflecting your name as the new owner. It's important to ensure that all necessary documentation is in order and comply with any additional requirements specified by the authorities to facilitate a smooth mutation process.
Helpful? LawRato LawRato

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details.

Report abuse?

Comments by Users

No Comments! Be the first one to comment.

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."