How to sell land when different documents are in different names?

Hello Sir, my clarification is I have my grand father's land. Patta is our grand father's name but document(pathiram) is another person's name.. but my grandfather, my father are maintained the land from 45 yrs and till now and land receipt(kaatu vari receipt) is available with my grandfather we need to sell the land . What is the procedure.pls guide the procedure

Answers (2)

130 votes

To sell a property should be yours.mere name in patta does not mean, you are the owner.first confirm by getting ec, adangal,a register, chitta, SLR copy weather you are the owner.if you are the owner, file Civil case to cancel the deed pertaining to your property or file petition before district registrar to cancel it.without valid documents,it is impossible to sell property

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

120 votes

You have to check government authorities record to verify other person's title or possession whatever. Moreover your query is not clear. If your GF is no more then the legal heirs have to approach Govt. authorities and submit application with LR certificate to pay the land receipt.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Nikhil Singh
Singh & Associates, Hubli
2 years Experience
Advocate Ricky Chopra
Sector - 49, Gurgaon
18 years Experience
Advocate Ricky Chopra
Karkardooma Court, Delhi
18 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles