How to claim right in mother's property

24-Apr-2023 (In Property Law)
I am still living in the house of my mother in law. This house was gifted to my sister in law's girl by my mother-in-law. My brother-in-law had done a case of citing his mother's mental condition and this house was heritage. The case has also been done for declaring heritage property.At present the gift has been canceled.And this house has come again in the name of my mother-in-law. Now, my brother-in-law is making a power of attorney in his name. My wife also wants shares in this house, but they do not want to give it. If we do the case then what will we get the shares? Or can we get them out of this house? I have deposited the electricity bill online for four years.
Answers (2)

Answer #1
893 votes
As per law of the land and recent supreme Court decision, daughter has got equal share in their ancestral property. Contact a good lawyer, place before him all the facts and documents and act accordingly as per his advice.
Answer #2
993 votes
Irrespective of the different facts, wheather you are living in house and paying electricity bill or not, the legal position is this that in mother's property every child has got equal share, including her father, if alive. If property is of your father in law, in hand of your mother in law, your wife is entitled for one share and for this she can file title suit. But if your mother in law is absolute owner of the property, in her life time she can give it as per her wish. After her death, your wife can claim her share

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details.

Report abuse?

Comments by Users

No Comments! Be the first one to comment.

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."