How to add name in property as co-owner?

Hello My maternal uncle is having a property and want to add my name as a co-owner or future owner for that property, pls suggest me what is a best option, he has no kid.

Answers (2)

139 votes

No document can legally be justified for both the option i.e. co-owner and future owner. The best option is an execution of will by your uncle for the future owner or gets executed gift deed for half undivided part and for rest half, of a will. You can contact us for further satisfaction.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

299 votes

In order to respond to your queries, we are assuming that your uncle is a Hindu and, therefore, succession to his estate would be governed by the Hindu Succession Act, 1956.

Section 8 of the Act lays down the general rules of succession in the case of Hindu males who have died intestate and inter-alia states that the property of such a male Hindu shall devolve firstly, upon the heirs of the deceased, being class I heirs. And secondly, if there are no class I heirs, then upon the class II heirs. This section also states how property will devolve if there are neither class I nor class II heirs.

Class I heirs take an equal share and simultaneously. If there are no class I heirs, then the estate in question devolve on the class II heirs.

In your case , let's assume that the property was self acquired. if the property is self acquired than in order to dispose of the property without any dispute ,your uncle may draft a will stating you as a future owner of that property.Further, a nominee through a will becomes entitled to the interest in the shares upon the event of death of your uncle. Or, if your uncle wants to add your name as present owner of the property, then he may furnish a gift deed in your favour.

Only in the event that there is no nominee, the provisions of Hindu Succession Act, 1956 will govern.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles