How to add my children's name in the property documents ?

The said Flat was in the name of my wife. My wife expired 3 years ago. Me being her husband is the nominee in the Flat Agreement Document. We have not submitted any document to the Society after her death. Now I wish to nominate my children (not minor) for the same flat such that after my death, they would not face any issues like getting succession certificate etc. Kindly guide me on the same. Thank you.

Answers (4)

60 votes

Your are only the nominee of the said Flat if there is a clause in your agreement. Otherwise you need to know that after your wife's death you and your children become the owners of the said Flat. All of you are equal owners of the said Flat.

If you are the current owner then you can make a will in favour of your children in respect of the said Flat,

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

194 votes

Dear Client,

Flat was on your wifes name- you were the nominee- Now you first of all need to become the owner and then you can add your kids a nominee for the said flat.

Kindly consult empaneled advocate of LawRato with all the necessary documentations to get precise and correct advice.

Expert Jurist LLP

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience
218 votes

Hi. After the demise of your wife, you and your children, as the immediate legal heirs, become entitled to the flat, in the respective proportions as per the personal law by which you are governed. You can release your share in the flat jointly in favour of your children.
When a flat owner appoints a nominee, after the death of flat owner, the society can safely transact with nominee for the purpose of accepting maintenance and for other society related matters. But a nominee does not of itself become the owner of the flat after the demise of its owner. A nominee only stands as a trustee for legal heirs of deceased flat owner.
For the flat to be transferred to the names of the legal heirs, the society can insist for Letters of Administration from the court of law. Many societies dispense with such a requirement and do the transfer based on non receipt of any objections pursuant to a public notice issued for inviting objections against transfer of flat to legal heirs and on submission of relevant documents from the legal heirs.

214 votes

With reference to the above statement, we do take care of such kind of issues, we would definitely provide you the better solution, kindly contact us to proceed with. For such issues you have to have consult with advocate

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles