How can my father distribute his self acquired property

I am a Hindu. My father has one self acquired property and one which he got from his father. My father wants to put all his property in my brothers name and compensate me with cash. I have no problems with that. Should I sign a relinquishment deed in favour of my brother? Is it possible to relinquish something which is not mine as yet? How do we go about this family arrangement??

Answers (3)

312 votes

If your family has decided this arrangement. You can sign a relinquishment deed. There is no problem in that. But be careful before signing any documents, reads the contents thoroughly and its consequences. If you are satisfied with the money your can easily hand over all the property to your brother. Be it ancestral or self acquired. All the best.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

272 votes

For self acquired property, there is absolutely no issue and your father has full freedom to bequeath the same in favour of your brother fully. You could on the side demand cash of the value of the self acquired property he chooses to give you. In case of the ancestral property however, half of the share will devolve upon you once your father leaves for the heavenly abode. You could then relinquish your right via a deed in favour of your brother and take cash instead. Even now you can do a family settlement agreement and get it registered for the ancestral property division, but it will only come into effect once the relinquishment deed is signed and the share of the ancestral property devolves upon you after your father's bereavement.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Gouri Shankar Hemekari
Dilsukhnagar, Hyderabad
23 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
18 years Experience
119 votes

If every thing is settled in your family like who will get property and who will get cash then all of you should go witha family settlement and you will relinquish your right over property in Liu of cash.
Kind regards

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles