How can I verify property before buying

How do I know the property which I am going to buy is legal or the complete documentation process or which authority is liable for the same.

Answers (2)

266 votes

As per the transfer of property act , immovable property can be transfered only thru a registered document and the title deeds of all properties ( title deed means the sale deed , gift deed etc. Thru which your seller has acquired the property which he is now selling to you ) are registered with the office of the registrar or sub registrar in the local area of which the property is situated .
You shld obtain photo copies ( front and back ) of the entire chain of title deeds thru which your seller claims to have acquired the property and then u have to match and verify the same with the office of the registrar by doing an inspection of the records by paying a nominal fee. Generally , registrar office provides you the property records of a property only for the past 13 years .
Then you have to verify the house tax records . Municipal records of the property . Water and electicity bills also shld be checked and visit the site also to ascertain who is in possession of the property at present .
Importantly , your seller shld have all the title deeds in original with him . If he does not have original title deeds , there is a possibility that he had already mortgaged or sold the property to some one else .

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

323 votes

Since you have not mentioned about the State wherein you are intending to buy this property, detailed opinion cannot be given. To buy any property in India you can get a DDR(Due Diligence Report) from a lawyer. A DDR is a inclusive report which provides you with all the details about the ownership chain of the property you are planning to purchase. Thank you.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Gouri Shankar Hemekari
Dilsukhnagar, Hyderabad
23 years Experience
Advocate Ricky Chopra
Sector - 49, Gurgaon
18 years Experience
Advocate Ricky Chopra
Karkardooma Court, Delhi
18 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles