How can I verify property before buying

How do I know the property which I am going to buy is legal or the complete documentation process or which authority is liable for the same.

As per the transfer of property act , immovable property can be transfered only thru a registered document and the title deeds of all properties ( title deed means the sale deed , gift deed etc. Thru which your seller has acquired the property which he is now selling to you ) are registered with the office of the registrar or sub registrar in the local area of which the property is situated .
You shld obtain photo copies ( front and back ) of the entire chain of title deeds thru which your seller claims to have acquired the property and then u have to match and verify the same with the office of the registrar by doing an inspection of the records by paying a nominal fee. Generally , registrar office provides you the property records of a property only for the past 13 years .
Then you have to verify the house tax records . Municipal records of the property . Water and electicity bills also shld be checked and visit the site also to ascertain who is in possession of the property at present .
Importantly , your seller shld have all the title deeds in original with him . If he does not have original title deeds , there is a possibility that he had already mortgaged or sold the property to some one else .

Hello
Since you have not mentioned about the State wherein you are intending to buy this property, detailed opinion cannot be given. To buy any property in India you can get a DDR(Due Diligence Report) from a lawyer. A DDR is a inclusive report which provides you with all the details about the ownership chain of the property you are planning to purchase. Thank you.
Regards