How can i claim the Property?

i am a married man. living with my parents and wife. recently we had been having some differences with my parents regarding the house. we have a separated Kitchen as well now. the house is his self acquired property. but we have a lot of ancestral property.. how can i claim it? the property is in the name of my father?

Answers (3)

298 votes

You can file a suit for partition of ancestral property, but not as long as father is there. You will inherit your share of father's self acquired property after his death if he doesn't make a will of it.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

52 votes

After lifetime of your father this land will automatically come to you and your mother. But in case you want your share in the ancestral property you would need to file a suit in the court to claim your share.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience
207 votes

In ancestral property you can have a claim but in self acquired you don't have any say..before filing a suit just talk to your father for partition..if he's unwilling then go for a suit if an amicable solution isn't available.. Rest that house in question is your father's property so no legal remedy is available..

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles