Does husband have any right on property given by parents to wife

We belong to a Sunni Muslim family. My question is. My wife purchased a property and made a registered Will for my daughter. That daughter will be owner of that property after her death. Is there right of our son in law in that property any time?

Answers (3)

97 votes

Hello. Not in the situation narrated by you, as the WILL makes her the sole beneficiary, if that is the intention of the recitals. After your daughter it shall devolve upon either as per her testament if she makes one or as per the succession law.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

195 votes

No once there is a Will no other person shall have the right over the property except for the person whose name is written in the Will. The Son-in Law shall not become the owner of the property by just marrying her.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
18 years Experience
306 votes


Under Muslim Law , the property devolves upon the death and is distributed amongst sharers in equal proportion. Thus, your son-in-law being one of the sharers in property of your daughter, he will have right in the property of your daughter in case she pre-decease him, in equal proportion as other sharers.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Similar questions

I (Hindu) am residing in Hooghly District West Bengal. We are 5 brothers and 5 sisters, Father died in the year of 1997. I have failed to claim my pat…

Read More

Is there any way out to get out from the co ownership of property which is on loan.... i dont want it as no funds nd husband dont want to surender ...…

Read More

My sister's husband died last year without a will.they are Christians (r.c) and having no children's.they married 36 years back.26 years back …

Read More

Myself and my husband signed an agreement for purchase of a flat in Bengaluru which was owned by a lady. Her Husband who was a lawyer offered us all h…

Read More