Daughters equally eligible for father property who died in 1999

10-Apr-2023 (In Property Law)
My father died in 1999 and there is some property in his name. I forgot to transfer it to my name. Are my sisters equally eligible for this property now?. Because as per my knowledge, Law to divide ancestors property equally among son and daughter passed in 2005 and my father died in 1999. Is there any way to transfer it to my name only?
Answers (3)

Answer #1
911 votes
If this is only ancestral property then you can transfer it to your name . But if it is parental property then your sisters will have equal right. Even though act was passed in 2005, but if father passed before 2005 only sons will have right in ancestral property.
Helpful? LawRato LawRato
Answer #2
651 votes
The only way is a will if you have in your name or else you will have to go for a partition suit and claim your right title on it and only then you can claim the property. Your sisters can relinquish in your favour through settlement
Helpful? LawRato LawRato
Answer #3
697 votes
Yes after 2005, your sisters have equal share in the Ancestral property if the properties were not partitioned vide a registered Family settlement or vide a Decree of Court before September,2005.
They always or their children clam their share and seek partition.
The only way out is that if you share a good relation and they are willing , they can execute Relinquishment Deeds in your favour , giving up their share in the property.
Helpful? LawRato LawRato

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details.

Report abuse?

Comments by Users

No Comments! Be the first one to comment.

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."