Continue to LawRato.com with Google


Can sister claim share in fathers property after his death ?

Good day Myself Mr belongs to hindu religion, having one 3bhak flat in Kolkata which is registered on my name & my father's name. But majority amount of money for this property has given by me. My one & only question is that after my father's death whether my sister can claim any share of this property or not?? Regards 

Answers (2)

My query is to you whether ownership right is on equal sharing basis or linked to the extent of money invested by you and your father.Your answer to my query and your Property deed is to be thoroughly studied before suggesting specific legal course of action to you.Unless your father lawfully transfer his share in the subject property to you by way of gift or sell or make a Will in your favour, your sister shall be lawfully eligible to her father's property after his death. For further instructions contact lawRato.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Hi Good evening. Irrespective of the fact that whoever spent more for purchasing the flat, as per the Hindu Succession Act and the law of inheritance thereto, both son and daughter and the spouse are entitled to inherit the propetry of the father after his demise. In your case you are 50 percent owner and your father being the rest 50 percent owner of the flat, if dies intestate, you, your sister and your mother if living shall inherit together the rest 50 percent ownership of the flat. You being the majority share holder may dominate the other owner after your father's demise and may appropriate the things accordingly. All the best. Regards.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar
Connaught Place, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Harish Malhotra
District Court, Gurgaon
21 years Experience
Advocate Prashant Mendiratta
Lajpat Nagar 4, Delhi
25 years Experience
Advocate T Kalaiselvan
Kosapet, Vellore
17 years Experience

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Fixed Cost Legal Services

Property Registration

4.7 | 291 ratings
Fixed Price Rs. 9999
Get your property registered through an experienced local advocate
Title Opinion Report

4.8 | 193 ratings
Fixed Price Rs. 4999
Get a detailed Title Opinion Report by expert real estate lawyers in your city
Draft an Agreement to Sell

4.9 | 94 ratings
Fixed Price Rs. 6000
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - Agreement to sell drafted by a local experienced advocate
Property Verification / Due Diligence

4.8 | 421 ratings
Fixed Price Rs. 7499
Property Verification, Title Search and due diligence conducted by a local experienced advocate
Legal Notice for Delay in Construction

4.4 | 24 ratings
Fixed Price Rs. 2499
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
15 Minutes Property Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 541 ratings
Fixed Price Rs. 499
Ask questions and get advice from a local experienced advocate on your Property Matter
Document Review - Agreement to Sell

4.7 | 108 ratings
Fixed Price Rs. 1999
Review + 30 Min phone call - Agreement to Sell review by a local experienced advocate
Draft a Sale Deed / Property Purchase Agreement

4.6 | 197 ratings
Fixed Price Rs. 9999
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - Sale Deed / Property Purchase Agreement drafted by a local experienced advocate
Document Review - Gift Deed

4.3 | 37 ratings
Fixed Price Rs. 3499
Review + 30 Min phone call - Gift Deed review by a local experienced advocate
Draft a Gift Deed

4.6 | 182 ratings
Fixed Price Rs. 6999
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - Gift Deed drafted by a local experienced advocate
Document Review - Sale Deed

4.8 | 73 ratings
Fixed Price Rs. 4999
Review + 30 Min phone call - Sale Deed review by a local experienced advocate
Legal Heir / Succession Certificate

4.8 | 71 ratings
Fixed Price Rs. 19999
Apply for a Legal Heir / Succession Certificate through a local experienced advocate
Similar questions

my sister already transferred the property to my name legally again she approached court that the land also belongs to her... firstly it was our fathe…

Read More

There is a property registered on my parents name while loan is taken on my name,my sister and my parents.The payment for the loan is made from my acc…

Read More

Hello sir, I have 5 sisters and 1 younger brother.. All are married before 1990 itself.. We have 3 acre of land, till 1997 the Property was only named…

Read More

I am a legal heir after my father's death in Jan 2013 and have a question to ask about Joint account opened under Either / Survivor mand…

Read More

Get free assistance for your legal issue