×

Can sister claim share in fathers property after his death ?

Good day Myself Mr belongs to hindu religion, having one 3bhak flat in Kolkata which is registered on my name & my father's name. But majority amount of money for this property has given by me. My one & only question is that after my father's death whether my sister can claim any share of this property or not?? Regards 

My query is to you whether ownership right is on equal sharing basis or linked to the extent of money invested by you and your father.Your answer to my query and your Property deed is to be thoroughly studied before suggesting specific legal course of action to you.Unless your father lawfully transfer his share in the subject property to you by way of gift or sell or make a Will in your favour, your sister shall be lawfully eligible to her father's property after his death. For further instructions contact lawRato.

Hi Good evening. Irrespective of the fact that whoever spent more for purchasing the flat, as per the Hindu Succession Act and the law of inheritance thereto, both son and daughter and the spouse are entitled to inherit the propetry of the father after his demise. In your case you are 50 percent owner and your father being the rest 50 percent owner of the flat, if dies intestate, you, your sister and your mother if living shall inherit together the rest 50 percent ownership of the flat. You being the majority share holder may dominate the other owner after your father's demise and may appropriate the things accordingly. All the best. Regards.