Can sister claim right on property gifted through deed

23-Apr-2023 (In Property Law)
State: Maharashtra My grandmother got land from her mother. My grandmother transfer property to by gift agreement to her son and grandsons. Then my father sold his whole portion of land to me using property sale deed agreement, I have paid him 20 lakhs rupees in agreement cash. All above transaction have done at government sub register office. Now my sister are saying it’s their ancestors land, So my father or my grandmother cannot sale or gift these land to me, they are demanding 25% of my land. Is my sister have any legal rights in my above land? Is above transaction look good? My father and grandmother pass away long back.
Answers (3)

Answer #1
971 votes
Yes, that sister have legal right in ancestral property even you have disposed it off. Now law protect right of every women, its better you solve the issue amicably. You have to also respect women and her right. Now its up to you, because she has legal option to file civil and criminal cases against you.
Answer #2
594 votes
Dear Querist, admittedly it is ancestral land but on the date when your Father sold his portion to you, whether only his name was on revenue records? if yes, then during this life time he has disposed same as per his wish which is perfectly ok. unless names of your sisters are not entered on revenue records.

Rakesh V. Misar
Answer #3
912 votes
The question here is how did your grandmother's mother get this property. The moment your Grandmother gifted the property in parts to her sons and grandsons it amounts to division of property and by that reason it had become self acquired property of your father. In that case the property is no longer ancestral property.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details.

Report abuse?

Comments by Users

No Comments! Be the first one to comment.

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."