Can property GPA holder sell property to his son? Is it valid?

"A" got the property from "B" through registered GPA. Now "A" wants to sell the property to third person. Question is : Would the transaction be valid, if "B" doesnt come for registration? Because, we dont know where B is? Also can "A" sell the prperty to his kid, by paying the stamp duty charges? Some of them said that, selling the property to kids may not be valid , Since A is GPA holder. In the GPA, it says A can sell it to anyone including family. Pls commment

Answers (2)

190 votes

Hi sir/madam, it is not possible as per supreme court order. That GPAs are not valid transfers of ownership. Only registered sale deeds are.
But it’s not with retrospective effect; existing properties that have been purchased from a GPA holder (before October 11, 2011) won’t be affected. Even those who hold a GPA today can “regularize” it by converting it into a sale deed, but they can no longer sell it to a third party.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

56 votes

If the gpa is valid and recognized under law, certainly it is valid, you need not require B s presence for the registration. He can sell it to any one and execute a deed as per gpa.

He can sell it to his family members as well

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles