Can my mother gift me her property

18-Apr-2023 (In Property Law)
We are Hindus. My father and mother jointly own a property . House is built on it. Father expired last year can my mother gift to any one of us the ownership.
Answers (3)

Answer #1
951 votes
Your mother can gift her undivided right in the property to anyone of her choice. Her right means her undivided right as per title and as inherited being the widow of her deceased husband. Your father's undivided right would be devolved upon his wife and children and his mother, if alive at the time of his death
Answer #2
713 votes
Yes, she can. The facts posted suggests deeper issues. What is the real issue? .... .
Answer #3
862 votes
If the property was registered jointly with your father’s and mother’s name then after the death of your father his share equally distributed among his legal heirs. So the whole property could not sell or gifted by your mother. She can only gift her share and not her husbands share .

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details.

Report abuse?

Comments by Users

No Comments! Be the first one to comment.

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."