Can my brothers claim property that is on my name

i am eldest brother and baught a land on my account(name).After some time my brothers are fighting with me and want division in my land.What is the right rules for this case.

Answers (3)

242 votes

If the family property is joint, it does not matter in whose name it is or by whom it has been bought. All the heirs have equal right in total property. It is a general presumption of Hindu Law. You will have to prove before the court that it is your seperate property, bought by your own fund which do not relate in any manner of joint family fund

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

280 votes

If u have document to prove that you have bought the property in issue through your income , contact a good lawyer and apprise him about all the facts and documents and according to his advice. Property will remain with you.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
262 votes

U have purchased the land by your money and with your name hence brother has no right to demand a division in eldest brother property. If your brother will file the title or partition suit than he will try to prove that the land was purchased by father . He can also claim that he contributed in purchasing of land.

Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles