can independent khatauni owner be encroached under duress by cousin?

I with my brother and father have ancestral lands in our name .All of us have different khatas ,names registered in khatauni for 30 yrs.My two cousins who have the same amount of land, say that there should be redistribution of land. We disagreed, they claim that their portion is not fertile and during consolidation we got better portion of land.Though all our lands are separate,no joint names on khatauni, they threat to encroach on land by force and file a case. Property is not joint ,no partition required. Can they encroach on our land by force? No dispute raised, pending in court in past.

Answers (2)

128 votes

To avoid any future dispute it is suggested to fence the land with barbed wire. Technically encroachment is illegal and anyone can enter - but to get them out you have to go through the same legal processes. If you are not in good terms with your cousins it is ideal to give a complaint to the local PS and to the tehsildar for the expected encroachment.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

134 votes

No need to worry..they should raise the dispute before DDC..if the title is not joint then they can't raise any dispute regarding the issue of infertility of there's nothing for you to worry if they try to occupy some part of your land then you have remey available at your end.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles